4.27.2007



I had the privilege of going to see one of my favorite bands (mutemath) last night. IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE SHOW. They are amazing musicians. They are inventing their own genre of music in my opinion. They sound a lot like 'The Police' which is a huge compliment... in my mind. They put on an amazing show, but there was something that stuck out to me over and above all the lights, music, and chaos.
I got a chance to go backstage and meet these guys. They were some of the most humble, grateful, soft-spoken guys that I have ever met. They just had several hundred people screaming their names going crazy, and I was then standing in front of them, and they were normal guys... asking me questions, talking about ways they could improve, etc... any talk about themselves musically was only if some eager kid like me asked them a question. They just were not concerned about themselves at all. I was shocked.
I always wanted to be in a band. I always wanted to be huge and have people screaming my name. I wanted it for all the wrong reasons. I wanted fame, I wanted people to worship me... basically. These guys are making a living doing what they love, but its not about them. They love God, and they love music. They are not about themselves . . .

No comments: